Welcome to our August newsletter. In this newsletter we will focus on the report of the UN Commission of Inquiry regarding the events in Gaza during the summer of 2014. The report covers several IHL-related issues and reaches severe conclusions with regard to the conduct of Israel and the Palestinians. In the current newsletter we include references to different opinions relating to the report and its conclusions.
For us at ALMA, there appears to be a significant resemblance to the situation approximately six years ago, following operation "Cast Lead" and the publication of the "Goldstone Report". ALMA was founded during that period, and due to the realization of its founders that there is a need to promote the knowledge, understanding and discussion of IHL among the general public. Since then, we've worked to fulfill that goal and we will continue to do so with great dedication in the years to come.
As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our facebook page and twitter. In order to join our mailing list please send your name and email address to email@example.com. If you wish to support ALMA, please visit our donations page.
The U.N Report on the 2014 Gaza Conflict- Articles and Opinions
1) The Report of the Independent Commission of Inquiry on the 2014 Gaza Conflict.
2) The 2014 Gaza Conflict Factual and Legal Aspects (The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Israel).
3) Amnesty International report: 'Black Friday': Carnage in Rafah during 2014 Israel/Gaza conflict.4) Ido Rosenzweig, What’s behind "Protective Edge" Investigations (Times of israel).
5) Tom Gal, The report of the UN Commission of Inquiry and the Human Rights Council's item 7 (Audio - Kol Israel- To listen please go to the link and choose "English" under the Recorded Programs menu. The broadcast begins at 04:00.).
6) Ido Rosenzweig, "Protective Edge", investigations, war crimes, UNRWA , human shields and urban warfare (Video - Israel National News- Channel 7).7) Kevin Jon Heller, The Gaza Report’s Treatment of Warnings: A Response to Blank (Opinio Juris).
8) Pnina Sharvit Baruch & Keren Aviram, Disregarding Reality, Yet Again: The Human Rights Council Commission of Inquiry Report (INSS).9) Laurie Blank, The UN Gaza Report: Heads I Win, Tails You Lose (Lawfare).
10) Eliav Lieblich, Reflections on the Israeli Report on the Gaza Conflict (Just Security).11) Tal Mimran & Amichai Cohen, The review committee established by the Council of the UN Human Rights following operation Protective Edge has released its final report. (The Israel Democracy Institute) (Hebrew).
The ICC Mavi Marmara Investigation
New IHL Aricles & Media
@ALMA_IHL Selected Tweets