Dear friends, עברית
As the end of 2015 is coming upon us, we would like to wish you happy holidays. This year has shown us yet again the relevancy of international humanitarian law for our lives and the importance of knowing, understanding and disseminating it. ALMA's efforts in this direction will continue in 2016 just as strongly.
ALMA is an organization which is based solely on the dedicated work of our volunteers and we wish to thank them for that. In order to maintain our work and enable the development of new projects, we kindly ask for your support. If you wish to support ALMA, please visit our donations page. Any donations, big or small, will be highly appreciated.
I would also like to use this opportunity to mention the 9th National Competition on IHL for students in Israel that was held recently, and thank our partners in this endeavor; the ICRC delegation in Israel and the occupied territories and the Embassy of Switzerland in Israel for their continuous support of the competition. In this newsletter you can find information about the results of the competition, as well as updates on new publications, and upcoming events.As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our facebook page and twitter. In order to join our mailing list please send your name and email address to email@example.com.
Between November 23 and 26 the 9th National Competition on IHL for students in Israel was held by the ICRC and ALMA. Nine teams from five academic institutions participated in the competition.
The winning team of the 9th National IHL Competition and the team that will participate in the Jean Pictet competition to be held in Evian, France in March 2016: from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Ms. Shani Dann, Mr. Gal Cohen, and Mr. Asher Rotenberg.
From Tel-Aviv University: Ms. Mikhal Shahar, Ms. Or Elkayam and Mr. Roy Mattar.
From Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Ms. Vered Shpiro, Mr. Basel Sader and Mr. Josh Huser.
The winner of the Uriel Masad Best Speaker Award: Ms. Yael Sasson from IDC Herzliya.
ALMA would like to congratulate all participating teams and thank the competition judges: Col. (res.) Pnina Sharvit Baruch (INSS), Ms. Marnie Lloydd (New Zealand Red Cross), Mr. Jani Leino (Finland Red Cross) and Dr. Noam Zamir (City University of Hong Kong).
1) The upcoming session of the Joint International Humanitarian Law Forum will be held on Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 18:30 in room C110 at the IDC Herzliya. In the forum we will host Adv. Christie Edwards from the American Red Cross to discuss:
"Women in Armed Conflicts"
Christie will discuss the ways in which women are particularly affected by armed conflict, some of their specific vulnerabilities, and the ways in which the law does (or does not) provide protections for crimes of sexual violence in conflict
The meeting is free and open to the public and will be conducted in English. Please register in advance via Forum@alma-ihl.org 2) The public is invited to a lecture by: Luis Moreno Ocampo: "Learning from Reality: International and foreign courts' Interventions in the Israel/Palestine Conflict," Monday, December 14, 2015, 17:00 on Hall 501, Beit Maiersdorf, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
3) The next meeting of the International Law Forum of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem will take place on Tuesday, December 15, 2015, 14:30 in Room 119 at the Faculty of Law. In this meeting Prof. Rob Howse will present his article: Courting the Critics of Investor-State Dispute Settlement: the EU Proposal for a Judicial System for Investment Disputes.
5) Dapo Akande & Marko Milanovic, The Constructive Ambiguity of the Security Council’s ISIS Resolution (EJIL talk).6) Beth Van Schaack, Targeting Tankers Under the Law of War (Part 1) and (Part 2) (Just Security)
1) January 22, 2016, How Terrorism Affects the Laws of Armed Conflict, Toronto, Canada
2) February 1, 2016, Human Rights Essay Award 2016, American University Washington, Washington DC, USA
3) February 20, 2016, International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Workshops, UCLA-USC and American Red Cross Los Angeles, CA, USA
4) March 11, 2016, Palestine Refugees and International Law, Oxford Department of International Development, Amman, Jordan
5) March 19-26, 2016, Jean Pictet Competition 28th Edition, Évian-les-Bains, France
For many more events from all over the world, please visit our upcoming IHL event - worldwide page on our website. To add your event to our database please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org