Welcome to our December issue of the ALMA Newsletter, which includes the most recent news, updates and developments on International Humanitarian Law (IHL). We would like to start by wishing you happy holidays and a new year.
This last month of 2016 brought several pertinent IHL issues to the forefront - the debate over the principle of proportionality, the revision of the US DoD LOAC Manual, the public's perceptions of IHL as evidenced in the ICRC Survey, the legality of the Israeli Settlements in the West Bank, and more. This newsletter brings a little taste of these relevant debates.
As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our Facebook page and twitter. In order to subscribe to our mailing list please send your name and email address to email@example.com.
Calls for Papers
The conference will be held on June 29 - July 1, 2017 in Canberra. Abstracts of proposed papers should be submitted by February 24, 2017.
IHL Articles & Media
1) Christof Heyns, Dapo Akande, Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne, & Thompson Chengeta, The International Law Framework Regulating the Use of Armed Drones, International & Comparative Law Quarterly (Vol. 65, no. 4, October 2016).
2) ICRC, The evolution of warfare, (IRRC, Issue 900).
3) The latest volume of the Yearbook of International Humanitarian Law is out.
4) Just Security, Defense Department Releases Second Round of Revisions for Law of War Manual (Just Security).
5) Boyd van Dijk, A History of humanity, humanitarian law, and human rights (JIHBLOG).
6) Lorris Beverelli, Why International Law Matters to Decision Makers (Georgetown Security Studies Review).
7) Monica Hakimi, Taking Stock of the Law on Targeting, Part I (EJIL: Talk!).
8) Beth Van Schaack, Human Shields in International Humanitarian Law: A Guide to the Legal Framework (Just Security).
9) Tim McCormack, Chemical Weapons and Other Atrocities: Contrasting Responses to the Syrian Crisis (ILS).
10) Ryan Goodman, New ICRC Survey: Large Global Divide in Public Respect for Humanitarian Norms (Just Security)
11) ICRC, People on War 2016: IHL Survey (ICRC).
12) William Fenrick, Law and Conflict for the Contemporary Practitioner (LawFare).
13) Charlie Savage, Pentagon Revamps Law of War Manual to Protect Journalists (The New York Times).
14) Just Security, Defense Department Releases Second Round of Revisions for Law of War Manual (Just Security).
15) Stéphane Ojeda, Global counter-terrorism must not overlook the rules of war (ICRC blog).
@ALMA_IHL Selected Tweets
Upcoming IHL Worldwide Events