(Last Update - 9 May 2012)
1. On Wednesday, 23 May 2012, at 18:30, a discussion in Tel-Aviv University Law Faculty, on the recent publication of Prof. Ruti Teitel - Humanity's Law. The discussion will be held in the Dean's meeting room. The speakers in the discussion are Prof. Ayel Gross, Ms. Doreen Lustig, Dr. Raif Zreik, Prof. Orna Ben-Naftaly and Prof. Ruti Teitel. More information (Hebrew)
2. Media in Conflict Seminar will be held for the 4th consecutive year in the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya between 2 - 6 September 2012. Registration is open until 15 May 2012.
3. The Student Conference on International Law, organized by students from the Hebrew University will be held in Jerusalem between 20 - 23 August, 2012.
1. Minerva and ICRC's 7th Annual Conference on IHL will be held between 3-4 December 2012 in Jerusalem.
The topic of the conference: "Conduct of Hostilities and Law Enforcement: A Contradiction in Terms?"
Submission deadline: 1 June 2012. More information
2. The Inaugural Benjamin B. Ferencz Essay Competition on International Criminal Law. The competition will focus on the relations between Crimes against Humanity and the Crime of Aggression.
The essay must address the following question: "Under what conditions may acts that constitute illegal use of armed force and that result in the widespread or systematic attack upon a civilian population be prosecuted as crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court, pursuant to the Rome Statute."
Deadline for Submission of Entries - Friday, 31 August 2012. More information
1. The winning team of the 2012 International Jean-Pictet Competition on IHL is the team from Université Libre de Bruxelles. The teams representing the Interdisciplinary Center (Herzliya) and the Hebrew University have reached to the respectful semi-finals phase.
The Swiss team representing the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights (coached by ALMA Member - Mrs. Tom Gal) has also reached the semi-final phase. Another ALMA member - Ms. Yfat Barak, also took part in the competiton as a tutor for some of the teams.
2. A Symposium on the Functional Approach to the Law of Occupation was hosted by Opinio Juris website between 23-27 April, 2012. The contributors of the symposium: Prof. Aeyal Gross (Tel Aviv University), Sari Bashi (Executive Director, Gisha: Legal Center for Freedom of Movement), Valentina Azarov (Al Quds University), Adv. Pnina Sharvit Baruch (Tel Aviv University) and Dr. Matthew Saul (Durham University)
Ms. Sigall horovitz appeared on 28 April 2012, in the Israeli Broadcast Association's Channel 1show "Royim Olam" (a view to the world) and discussed Charles Taylor's verdict in the International Criminal Court. (Hebrew).
Another interview with Sigall on the same topic was publiched in Ynet On 2 May 2012 (Hebrew).
ALMA - Newsletter >