Welcome to our November issue of the ALMA Newsletter, which includes the most recent news, updates and developments on International Humanitarian Law (IHL).
At the very outset, ALMA cordially invites you to the upcoming session of the Joint International Humanitarian Law Forum. The session will be held on Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 18:30 (for more details see Local IHL Events).As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our Facebook page and twitter. In order to subscribe to our mailing list please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local IHL Events
In this upcoming session Professor Eugene Kontorovich (Northwestern University School of Law) will present his paper:“Unsettled: A Global Study of Settlements in Occupied Territory”. The meeting is free and open to the public. If you wish to attend the meetings of the Joint IHL Forum please register in advance via email@example.com) November 28-29, 2016, the 11th Minerva/ICRC International Conference on IHL will be held at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The topic of the conference is: "Contemporary Challenges in International Humanitarian Law".
The conference is free and open to the public. Please note that pre-registration is required via firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Call for Papers: Post-Conflict Justice in Ukraine:The conference will be held on May 26-27, 2017 in Kyiv. Abstracts of proposed papers should be submitted by December 15, 2016.
3) Call for Papers: UCL Post Graduate and Early Careers Conference 2017. The conference will be held on March 30-31, 2017 in London. Abstracts of proposed papers should be submitted by December 25, 2016.
4) Call for Papers: Michigan Law School Third Annual Young Scholars' Conference. The conference will be held on March 31 - April 1, 2017 in Ann Arbor. Abstracts of proposed papers should be submitted by December 31, 2016.
5) Call for Papers: Sustaining the International Legal Order in an Era of Rising Nationalism. The conference will be held on June 29 - July 1, 2017 in Canberra. Abstracts of proposed papers should be submitted by February 24, 2017.
6) Call for Submissions: The Melbourne Journal of International Law invites submissions on areas of interest in international law for volume 18(1), to be published in July 2017. Manuscripts should be submitted by January 31, 2017.
IHL Articles & Media
2) Kristen Boon, Trump and the UN (Opinio Juris) 3) Phil Gurski, What Does the Trump Presidency Mean for the “War on Terrorism”? (ICCT) 4) Deborah Pearlstein, New Report on European Counterterrorism Practice (Opinio Juris) 5) Dale Stephens, Why Outer Space Matters: a Brief Introduction to International Humanitarian Law (Intercross Blog)6) Alex Whiting, Will Trump Bring Back Torture? Not if He Learns from the Past and Follows the Law (Just Security)7) Michael Schmitt, US Transparency Regarding International Law in Cyberspace (Just Security) 8) Dermot Groome, Child Soldiers - Both Victims and Combatants: Is There Anything IHL Can Do? (SSRN)9) Melanie Klinkner and Alexandra Lily Kather, The Legal Protection of Mass Graves (EJIL: Talk!) 10) Heather A. Harrison Dinniss and Jann K. Kleffner, Soldier 2.0: Military Human Enhancement and International Law (ILS)11) The latest issue of International Security (Vol. 41, no. 2, Fall 2016) is out.
@ALMA_IHL Selected Tweets
Upcoming IHL Worldwide Events
1) November 25, 2016, Human Rights in Cyberspace: the responsibility to respect, and ensure respect (Moscow, Russia)
2) November 26, 2016, International armed conflict, non-international armed conflict, non-armed conflict: the significance of designations in the fight against terrorism (Moscow, Russia)
3) November 28-30, 2016, Core Professional Training on Humanitarian Law and Policy (Bangkok, Thailand)
4) November 29, 2016, Solferino or Paris? (Nottingham, UK)
5) November 30, 2016, The Conflict in Eastern Ukraine: The Role of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (London, UK)
6) November 30, 2016, International Humanitarian Law and International Human Rights Law in the fight against terrorism - Bush, Obama and Trump (Geneva, Switzerland)
7) December 6, 2016, Aiding and Assisting: Challenges in Armed Conflict and Counterterrorism (London, UK)
8) December 7-8, 2016, Protecting Cultural Property in Armed Conflict - Obligations in War and Peace (Adelaide, Australia)
9) December 7, 2016, Researching the effects of international criminal justice in Africa (London, UK)
10) December 8, 2016, After Chilcot: Evaluating the Legal Implications of the Iraq Inquiry (London, UK)
11) January 18, 2017, Practitioners’ Guide to Human Rights in Armed Conflict (London, UK)
For many more events from all over the world, please visit our upcoming IHL event - worldwide page on our website. To add your event to our database please send an email to email@example.com