Newsletter - December 2015
Dear friends, עברית
As the end of 2015 is coming upon us, we would like to wish you happy holidays. This year has shown us yet again the relevancy of international humanitarian law for our lives and the importance of knowing, understanding and disseminating it. ALMA's efforts in this direction will continue in 2016 just as strongly.
ALMA is an organization which is based solely on the dedicated work of our volunteers and we wish to thank them for that. In order to maintain our work and enable the development of new projects, we kindly ask for your support. If you wish to support ALMA, please visit our donations page. Any donations, big or small, will be highly appreciated.
I would also like to use this opportunity to mention the 9th National Competition on IHL for students in Israel that was held recently, and thank our partners in this endeavor; the ICRC delegation in Israel and the occupied territories and the Embassy of Switzerland in Israel for their continuous support of the competition. In this newsletter you can find information about the results of the competition, as well as updates on new publications, and upcoming events.
As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our facebook page and twitter. In order to join our mailing list please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9th National Competition on IHL
Between November 23 and 26 the 9th National Competition on IHL for students in Israel was held by the ICRC and ALMA. Nine teams from five academic institutions participated in the competition.
The winning team of the 9th National IHL Competition and the team that will participate in the Jean Pictet competition to be held in Evian, France in March 2016: from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Ms. Shani Dann, Mr. Gal Cohen, and Mr. Asher Rotenberg.
From Tel-Aviv University: Ms. Mikhal Shahar, Ms. Or Elkayam and Mr. Roy Mattar.
From Hebrew University of Jerusalem: Ms. Vered Shpiro, Mr. Basel Sader and Mr. Josh Huser.
The winner of the Uriel Masad Best Speaker Award: Ms. Yael Sasson from IDC Herzliya.
ALMA would like to congratulate all participating teams and thank the competition judges: Col. (res.) Pnina Sharvit Baruch (INSS), Ms. Marnie Lloydd (New Zealand Red Cross), Mr. Jani Leino (Finland Red Cross) and Dr. Noam Zamir (City University of Hong Kong).
1) The upcoming session of the Joint International Humanitarian Law Forum will be held on Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 18:30 in room C110 at the IDC Herzliya. In the forum we will host Adv. Christie Edwards from the American Red Cross to discuss:
"Women in Armed Conflicts"
Christie will discuss the ways in which women are particularly affected by armed conflict, some of their specific vulnerabilities, and the ways in which the law does (or does not) provide protections for crimes of sexual violence in conflict
The meeting is free and open to the public and will be conducted in English. Please register in advance via Forum@alma-ihl.org
2) The public is invited to a lecture by: Luis Moreno Ocampo: "Learning from Reality: International and foreign courts' Interventions in the Israel/Palestine Conflict," Monday, December 14, 2015, 17:00 on Hall 501, Beit Maiersdorf, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
3) The next meeting of the International Law Forum of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem will take place on Tuesday, December 15, 2015, 14:30 in Room 119 at the Faculty of Law. In this meeting Prof. Rob Howse will present his article: Courting the Critics of Investor-State Dispute Settlement: the EU Proposal for a Judicial System for Investment Disputes.
4) The Hebrew Univesity International law forum invites you to a confrence dealing with Israel and International law: Developments and Patterns in the Year 2015. The confrence will be held on Tuesday, January 5, 2016, 15:30 at Beit Maiersdorf, Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
5) Cambridge Student Law Journal - Call for Submissions: The Journal will be publishing its inaugural volume in the first half of 2016. The aim is to publish articles on a variety of legal topics written by students at all levels as well as early career researchers. Articles are to be submitted for consideration to email@example.com on or before Friday, January 15, 2016.
6) The ICRC and The Regional Delegation for India, Bhutan and Maldives and the Asian-African Legal Consultative Organisation (AALCO) Secretariat are pleased to announce the call for papers for the forthcoming issue of the AALCO Journal of International Law on The Protection of Cultural Property and the Norms of IHL. Articles are to be submitted to del_IHL@icrc.org on or before Sunday, February 7, 2016.
IHL Articles & Media
1) Marko Milanovic , The ICRC’s Position on a Functional Approach to Occupation (EJIL talk)
2) Rogier Bartels, The organization(al) requirement under IHL and ICL (Armed Groups and International Law)
3) Kai Ambos, The new enemy of mankind: The Jurisdiction of the ICC over members of “Islamic State” (EJIL talk)
4) Marc Weller, Permanent Imminence of Armed Attacks: Resolution 2249 (2015) and the Right to Self Defence Against Designated Terrorist Groups (EJIL talk)
5) Dapo Akande & Marko Milanovic, The Constructive Ambiguity of the Security Council’s ISIS Resolution (EJIL talk).
6) Beth Van Schaack, Targeting Tankers Under the Law of War (Part 1) and (Part 2) (Just Security)
7) Lorenzo Kame, On the Legitimacy of the Settlements: A Legal and Historical Perspective (Opinio juris).
8) Jens David Ohlin, The UK Government’s Position on Unwilling & Unable (Opinio juris)
@ALMA_IHL Worldwide Events
1) #IHLevent: "Human rights in times of emergency" to mark the #InternationalHumanRightsDay .@acri_online http://goo.gl/MI5P3U
2) Call for Submissions: The Protection of #CulturalProperty and the Norms of #IHL @ICRC https://goo.gl/aWSpKl
3) #IHLarticle Reactions to #refugee Crisis May Violate States' International Legal Obligations
#IHL #Syria http://goo.gl/lvJcKW .@ijrcenter
4) Training for Lawyers #IHL in Israel http://goo.gl/kwvvei .@ICRC .@acri_online
For more IHL tweets, please visit our twitter page .
1) January 22, 2016, How Terrorism Affects the Laws of Armed Conflict, Toronto, Canada
2) February 1, 2016, Human Rights Essay Award 2016, American University Washington, Washington DC, USA
3) February 20, 2016, International Humanitarian Law (IHL) Workshops, UCLA-USC and American Red Cross Los Angeles, CA, USA
4) March 11, 2016, Palestine Refugees and International Law, Oxford Department of International Development, Amman, Jordan
5) March 19-26, 2016, Jean Pictet Competition 28th Edition, Évian-les-Bains, France
For many more events from all over the world, please visit our upcoming IHL event - worldwide page on our website. To add your event to our database please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org