Newsletter - June 2015
Our June newsletter sees the 2014-2015 academic year nearing its end, and with it the last session of the Joint IHL Forum for this year. This session will be dedicated to "The Immunity of UN Facilities and Operation Protective Edge: The UN Board of Inquiry Report" and will take place on June 3, 2015 (more information below).
We've also started working on our 2015-2016 program for the IHL Forum - if you have an IHL related publication or working paper that you would like to present in our forum, or if there are relevant topics that you think should be discussed in our forum, please inform us at Forum@alma-ihl.org.
As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our facebook page and twitter. In order to join our mailing list please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to support ALMA please visit our donations page.
Local News & IHL Events
1) The next session of the Joint International Humanitarian Law Forum will be held on Wednesday, June 3 2015, 18:30 in room C110 at the IDC. In the forum Col. (Res.) Adv. Pnina Sharvit Baruch (INSS), Adv. Michael Schoiswohl (UNRWA) and Dr. Daphna Shraga will discuss The Immunity of UN Facilities and Operation Protective Edge: The UN Board of Inquiry Report.
The meeting is free and open to the public and will be conducted in English. Please register in advance via Forum@alma-ihl.org.
2) Legalities and Legacies: The Past, Present, and Future of the Palestine Mandate in International Law will be held on June 21-22, 2015 in Jerusalem.
New IHL Articles & Media
1) Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict: Second Edition of "1612 Monitoring and Reporting Mechanism"
2) Michael Schmitt and John Merriam, A Legal and Operational Assessment of Israel’s Targeting Practices. (Just security)
3) Amichai Cohen and Yuval Shany, Contextualizing Proportionality Analysis? A Response to Schmitt and Merriam on Israel’s Targeting Practices. (Just security)
4) Alexandre Skander Galand, The Situation Concerning the Islamic State: Carte Blanche for the ICC if the Security Council Refers? (EJIL: Talk!)
5) Lesley Wexler, International Humanitarian Law Divergence (SSRN)
7) Zachary Vermeer, The Jus ad Bellum and the Airstrikes in Yemen: Double Standards for Decamping Presidents? (EJIL: Talk!)
8) John J. Merriam , Affirmative Target Identification: Operationalizing the Principle of Distinction for U.S. Warfighters. (SSRN)
@ALMA_IHL Selected Tweets
For more IHL tweets, please visit our twitter.