Newsletter - November 2014
We are happy to present the November issue of ALMA Newsletter. The current issue includes an invitation to the final event of the 8th National IHL Competition that will take place on Thursday, November 20. The issue also provides information about new IHL publications, upcoming events and recent developments.
As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our facebook page and twitter account. In order to join our mailing list please send your name and email address to email@example.com
Reminder: Upcoming Competitions
1. The 8th National Competition on International Humanitarian Law hosted by the ICRC & ALMA will be held on November 17-20, 2014 in Kibbutz Tzuba, Israel.
2. Application deadline for The American Red Cross, 2nd Clara Barton International Humanitarian Law Annual Competition is November 14, 2014.
New IHL Articals
1. Ido Rosenzwig: Combatants Dressed as Civilians? The Case of the Israeli Mista'arvim under International Law (Israel Democracy Institute)
This publication provides an overview of the history of the Israeli undercover units known as Mista’arvim and analyzes the legality and implications of the use of such units for law enforcement and combat operations under international law.
2. Joseph Weiler: After Gaza 2014: Schabas. (EJIL: Talk!)
3. ICRC: How Does Law Protect in War?
Features more then 350 case studies & documents on recent conflicts
4. Statement of the Prosecutor of the ICC concluding that the Marmara case is not of "sufficient gravity" to justify further action by the ICC.
5. ICC Analysis on the Flotilla incident: Fair & Balanced?
6. Shani Dann: Drone Strikes & IHL. (Humanity in the Midst of War: A blog related to the laws of armed conflict-American Red Cross).
@ALMA_IHL ALMA's Twitter Updates
1. Geneva conventions foresaw problem of new technologies.Cyber falls in Art 36AP1 tht regulates new tech n weapons: @JamieWilliamso6 #CyFy14
2. A jury finds 4 ex-Blackwater contractors guilty of 'outrageous’ 2007 shooting in Baghdad: http://cnn.it/1wbiKyA
3. Journal on the Use of Force and International Law, call for papers for next issue. Get writing! http://www.hartjournals.co.uk/jufil/index.html
Upcoming IHL Events from Around the World
1. November 14, 2014, UnCivil Wars - International Humanitarian Law Conference 2014 , Halifax, Canada.
2. November 19, 2014, Tallinn 2.0: The International Law of Cyber Conflict, New York,USA
3. November 19, 2014, International Conference: Transitional Law and Beyond, Bogotá, Colombia.
4. November 24-25, 2014, The Legitimacy of International Courts and Tribunals, Oslo, Norway.
5. December 1-3, 2014, Geneva 2014 Core Professional Training on Humanitarian Law and Policy, Geneva, Switzerland.
For many more events from all over the world, please visit our upcoming IHL event - worldwide page on our website.