Newsletter September 2014
We are happy to present the September issue of ALMA Newsletter. The current issue provides information about a few relevant competitions for students, recent interviews and op-eds of ALMA members in the media, new IHL articles and much more.
We at ALMA would like to wish you Shana Tova - a happy new Jewish year, with the hope for more IHL discussions and less actual conflicts in this upcoming year.
1. The 8th National Competition on International Humanitarian Law hosted by the ICRC with the assistance of ALMA will be held on November 17-20, 2014 in Kibbutz Tzuba, Israel.
2. Registration to this year’s ICC Competition for which ALMA is the official organizer of the National Round in cooperation with the international organizers in The Hague begins on September 22, 2014.
3. The American Red Cross, Clara Barton International Humanitarian Law Competition will be held on March 14-17, 2015 in Chicago (Illinois), USA. Application deadline is November 14, 2014.
4. The CCJP, Jean Pictet IHL Comeptition will be held on March 28 untill the April 4, 2015 in Virginia, USA. Application deadline is November 5, 2014.
ALMA Members in the Media
1.Adv. Ido Rosenzweig interviews for "Mabat" news program about the decision to open criminal investigations on events from Operation Protective Edge.(Hebrew)
2. Dr. Sigal Horvitz in an op-ed:Israelis sued Mashal for killing collaborators? (Hebrew)
3. Adv. Ido Rosenzweig on i24News on the State Comptroller inquiry into operation "Protective Edge"
New IHL Articals
2.Dr. Diane M. Vavrichek, "The Future of Drone Strikes: A Framework for Analyzing Policy Options".
3. The UN draft resolution on Foreign terrorist fighters (FTF).
4. Nina Levarska, Applicability of International Humanitarian Law to Cyber Warfare.
5. Lawrence Hill-Cawthorne, Developing the Law of Non-International Armed Conflict: A View of the Harmonization Project.
@ALMA_IHL ALMA's twitter updates
Upcoming IHL Events from Around the World
1. September 25, 2014, Thematic Workshop on the Protection of IDPs in Situations of Armed Conflict, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
2. September 26, 2014, International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons, Canberra, Australia.
3. October 1, 2014, War Against Translational Crime?, New York, USA.
4. October 2, 2014, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Principled Humanitarian Action, Geneva, Switzerland.
5. October 3, 2014,3rd Annual International Humanitarian Law Conference: Business, Violence and International Humanitarian Law, Toronto, Canada.