ALMA Newsletter - September 2017
We are happy to present the September issue of ALMA Newsletter. The current issue provides information about a few relevant competitions for students, recent interviews and op-eds of ALMA members in the media, new IHL articles and much more.
As we look forward to the 11th National Competition for Students on International Humanitarian Law, we would like to invite you to join us at the final event of the competition. The final event will take place on October 26, Mishkenot Sha’ananim (Konrad Adenauer Conference Center). For more information please visit this facebook event.
As always, you are welcome to keep in touch via our Facebook page and twitter. In order to subscribe to our mailing list please click here.
Calls for Papers
1. Call for Applications: Seventh Annual Junior Faculty Form for International Law – University of Melbourne, May 2018. Designed as an annual feature of the international law calendar, the Forum is aimed at bringing together junior faculty working in the field of international law in order that their work can be presented before an audience of peers and experts and then discussed by established and senior scholars in international law and related fields.The deadline for submission is 15 December 2017.
2. Call for Papers: “Contingency in the Course of International Law: How International Law Could Have Been”, Amsterdam, 14-16 June 2018. The conference will ask a question that is deceptive in its simplicity: How might international law have been otherwise? We want to question the present state of international law by challenging its pretence to necessity and by better understanding the forces that have shaped it. Put simply with Robert Musil: “If there is a sense of reality, there must also be a sense of possibility.” Fleur Johns (UNSW) will give a public keynote and Samuel Moyn (Yale) will give a closing address. The deadline for the submission of abstracts is 1 December 2017.
3. Call for Submissions: UCL Journal of Law and Jurisprudence. The Editorial Board is pleased to call for submissions for the first issue of 2018 (Volume 7, Issue 1 (March 2018)). The Board welcomes papers covering all areas of law and jurisprudence.The deadline for submissions is 16 October 2017.
IHL Articles & Media
Symposium on Occupation Law
1. Aeyal Gross, Symposium on Occupation Law: Writing ‘The Writing on the Wall:’ Why and How to Rethink The Law of Occupation (Opinion Juris)
2. Eliav Lieblich, Symposium on Occupation Law: The Normative and Functional Approaches to Occupation: A Response to Aeyal Gross (Opinion Juris)
3. Valentina Azarova, Symposium on Occupation Law: Rethinking the Regulation of Occupation in International Law: A Review of Gross’ ‘The Writing on the Wall’ (Opinion Juris)
4. Diana Buttu, Symposium on Occupation Law: Fitting a Square Peg into a Round Hole (Opinion Juris)
5. Eugene Kontorovich, Symposium on Occupation Law: The Necessary Non-Normativity and Temporal Indeterminacy of Occupation Law (Opinion Juris)
6. Kristen Boon, Symposium on Occupation Law: Control and the Law of Occupation (Opinion Juris)
7. Aeyal Gross, Symposium on Occupation Law: The Writing the on the Wall 2.0: A Rejoinder (Opinion Juris)
Other IHL Publications
1. Kabir Sanchi, The Place of Boko-Haram Insurgency Under International Humanitarian Law (SSRN)
2. Michael N. Schmitt & Christopher M. Ford, Assessing U.S. Justifications for Using Force in Response to Syriai's Chemical Attacks: An International Law Perspective (SSRN)
3. Malaka Gharib, In Their Own Words: Why Armed Fighters Attack Aid Workers (Goats and Soda)
4. Mateusz Piątkowski, Fully Autonomous Weapons Systems and the Principles of International Humanitarian Law (SSRN)
5. Kevin H. Govern, International Humanitarian Law (IHL): Five Key Dynamics Shaping the Global Landscape, Security, and Freedom of Religion and the Way Ahead (SSRN)
@ALMA_IHL Selected Tweets
#IHLarticle: Fully Autonomous Weapons Systems and the Principles of International Humanitarian Law . @SSRN http://goo.gl/39LgWQ.
#IHLarticle: #IHL 5 Key Dynamics Shaping the Global Landscape Security, & Freedom of Religion & the Way Ahead . @SSRN http://goo.gl/dw8qVf
#IHLvideo of the . @Geneva_Academy's #IHL Talks - Special Panel on #Libya
#IHLarticle "The Defense of ‘Obedience to Superior Orders’ in the Age of Legal Clearance of Military Operations" Or Bassok . @ejiltalk #IHL
#IHLpodcast "Emerging weapons & #IHL" with . @ICRC's Neil Davison . @RedCrossAU #AWS #OuterSpace #HumanEnhancement
Upcoming IHL Worldwide Events
1) September 21-24, 2017, 17th Henry Dunant Memorial Moot Court Competition 2017 on International (Delhi, India).
2) October 5-7, 2017, International Investment Law & the Law of Armed Conflict (Athens, Greece)
3) October 20-21, 2017, Exploring Humanitarian Law: 2-Day Educator Training in Ottawa (Ottawa, Canada)
4) November 9, 2017, Human Rights Research Students' Conference (Glasgow, Scotland)
For more upcoming IHL events, please visit our website